Excellent opportunities for educational attainment are widely available to all Marshalltown area students. No matter the age, level, preference or goal, when it comes to learning, there are educational institutions available to support all students in their chosen endeavors.
Marshalltown is proud to have had a hand in initiating an inaugural STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education program in Iowa. In 2015, the Marshalltown education and business communities came together to help establish the pilot program for student summer STEM camp. The program has taken off and is going strong.
Spatial Temporal Math (ST-Math): In 2017, thanks to a generous grant from the Governor’s STEM Council and the partnership of the local business community, the Marshalltown Community School District enhanced its curriculum by adding Spatial Temporal Math (ST-Math). This game-based instructional program, integrated in the pre-K to 6th grade curriculums, is designed to boost math comprehension and proficiency through visual learning.
Project Lead the Way: As a state leader in Project Lead the Way, the school district offers the inspiring program both in their elementary schools and to Marshalltown High School students via such classes as engineering and biomedical science. These curriculum offerings at all grade levels promise to help advance math and science interest and enthusiasm for every student.
Marshalltown Community School District
The Marshalltown Community School District is committed to preparing all learners, through an unparalleled culture of excellence, to be productive and engaged citizens in a diverse world. The school district accomplishes this by developing learners who have the knowledge, skills and positive mindset to successfully pursue a meaningful future through personalized learning experiences.
The following private schools offer options that are added bonuses to the excellent academic choices in town:
- St. Francis Catholic School
- Pre-K-6 Catholic school
- Serves families of all religious backgrounds.
- Fully state accredited.
- Providing quality education for more than 135 years.
- High academic standards.
- Christ-centered environment.
- Focuses on academic excellence, development of faith/character and fiscal responsibility.
- Student-to-teacher ratio of 11:1.
- 1:1 technology to student ratio.
- More than 40 percent of faculty has graduate degrees.
- Teachers have an average of 15 years’ experience.
Marshalltown Christian School
The purpose of Marshalltown Christian School is to glorify God through biblical, Christ-centered education, provide academic excellence and prepare students for service and leadership.
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit, non-denominational Christian school.
- Serving the Marshalltown community since 2006.
- Newly constructed facility (2016).
- Enrolls students in grades K-8.
- Eight individuals serve as faculty and staff.
Iowa Valley Community College District operates:
- Marshalltown Community College.
- Iowa Valley Continuing Education.
- Orpheum Theater Center in Marshalltown.
- Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls.
- MCC satellite campus in Grinnell.
Marshalltown Community College
- Provides career-technical degree programs and the first two years of transferable college credit toward a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
- 55 academic programs with nearly 80 degree/diploma options.
- Offers an economical path to higher wage technical and middle-skill jobs.
- Average enrollment of 2,020 students.
- 13:1 student to faculty ratio.
- Average class size of 17.
- Traditional on-campus classes and online courses available.
- An Associate of Arts degree is available completely online.
Iowa Valley Continuing Education
Offers hundreds of courses and programs each year in support of life-long learning plans, including:
- Short-term career training.
- Upgrade of professional skills.
- Profession certification options.
- High school diploma completion.
- Classes for fun.
Buena Vista University
An undergraduate institution based in Storm Lake, Iowa, the university provides convenient access to higher learning opportunities through a satellite center on the Marshalltown Community College campus. This partnership recently celebrated its 35th anniversary.
- Caters to the needs of nontraditional students
- Offers almost 50 academic programs.
- Convenient, affordable courses available in online, face-to-face and blended learning formats.
- Classes start every eight weeks.