Living in DeSoto means easy, convenient access to an array of healthcare facilities. A full-service hospital is within minutes of any home or business in DeSoto. Emergency services are offered 24 hours a day as well as intensive care and fully equipped diagnostic facilities.
Methodist Charlton Medical Center is located at 3500 W. Wheatland Road, just north of the DeSoto city limits. This modern teaching and community hospital has served the thriving community in far southwest Dallas County since 1975. It was one of the first hospitals in Dallas to use the Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) concept and conducts one of only four Family Practice Medical Residency programs in the area.
They are proud to offer the latest in medical technology and innovative treatments close to your home. Their areas of distinction include:
- A newly renovated intensive care unit.
- A newly constructed eight-floor tower with 212 private rooms including 32 intensive care unit beds
- An expanded post-coronary interventional care unit, and an intermediate care step-down unit to support the growth of the Methodist Charlton Medical Center Heart and Vascular services.
- Da Vinci surgical system, robot-assisted, minimally invasive surgery.
- A cardiac catheterization lab that serves as the only full-service interventional cardiology center in southwest Dallas County.
- Level II Special Care Nursery, providing specialized care for babies who need more than routine medical care.
- Full-service interventional cardiology services include cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology, and implantable defibrillators. Received the American College of Cardiology Foundation’s NCDR ACTION Registry –GWTG Platinum Performance Achievement Award for excellence in heart attack care.
- Methodist Charlton is home to the only heart failure clinic in the southern Dallas County.
- A radiology department that offers sophisticated diagnostic and treatment technologies, including 3-D mammography, ultrasounds, CT scans, interventional radiology, PET scans, nuclear medicine scans diagnostic radiology and interventional radiology.
- The Methodist Joint Academy Hip and Knee Joint Replacement program. Replacement programs at Methodist Charlton have both been certified by The Joint Commission.
- Certified Chest Pain Center.
- Inpatient hospice unit to offer families support and care for loved ones who are nearing the end of life.
- Quality Respiratory Care Recognition from the American Association for Respiratory Care for helping patients and families make informed decisions about the quality of the respiratory care services available in hospitals.
- Sleep diagnostic center opened in 2013.
- Certified stroke care – designated as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and the American Stroke Association
Advanced Imaging, 1750 N. Hampton, DeSoto, provide the highest quality diagnostic images with the least amount of radiation possible for each patient. CT scanners are equipped with special dose reduction software aimed to help meet that objective. Diagnostic imaging services include:
- High-field MRI
- CT scans
- Lung cancer screening
- Mammography (3D tomosynthesis)
- Interventional radiology procedures
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Bone density
- Arthrograms and myelograms
Texas Oncology-Methodist Charlton Cancer Center is a relatively recent addition to health care services in the area. The center at 3555 W. Wheatland Rd. has comprehensive facilities for cancer treatment, including chemotherapy and radiation.
Hickory Trail Hospital, a center for mental health and chemical dependency care, is nested on five beautifully landscaped acres in DeSoto. Its highly trained professional staff provides a broad range of mental health and chemical dependency services, including specialized treatment programming. Psychiatric crisis stabilization, medical detoxification, chemical dependency recovery programming, partial hospitalization, outpatient treatment and discharge planning are among their individualized services.
Hickory Trail offers specialized services for those experiencing a mental health or chemical dependency crisis, such as Adolescent Day Program for ages 5-17.
Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, 800 Kirnwood, DeSoto, provides psychiatric stabilization and dual diagnosis treatments for adolescent and adult patients in the Dallas metroplex. The facility, adjacent to Dallas and other communities in the Best Southwest region, is a short drive from many other cities and suburban communities. The hospital specializes in providing the full continuum of care, and the therapy program includes evidence-based approaches, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, motivational enhancement therapy and solution-focused therapy where a patient may receive inpatient, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient program services all within the same campus.
Crescent Medical Center Lancaster is a Det Norske Veritas Healthcare-accredited organization featuring eight intensive care unit beds, 20 medical surgical/telemetry beds, 10 emergency department beds, four state-of-the-art operating suites, four VIP suites, four sleep lab suites, a cystoscopy suite and two procedure rooms for pain management and endoscopy. They also have an extensive outpatient department with Laboratory services and a Radiology imaging center that is equipped with high-definition MRI scans, CT and digital X-ray services.
Vibra Specialty Hospital provides treatment for a variety of serious medical issues that require long term acute care, rehabilitation, inpatient services and outpatient wound care. Patients may be referred by physicians, hospitals, case managers, insurance companies, or former patients.
In addition, DeSoto offers several urgent care facilities, providing family medicine and occupational medicine through the use of expert medical treatment and state-of-the-art equipment. Walk-ins are always welcome, and you can always call ahead to reserve a time. DeSoto also boasts an assisted living center and several home health care agencies and nursing homes. Comprehensive healthcare coverage is rounded out by physical therapy clinics, chiropractic centers, eye and dental facilities, imaging centers and hospice organizations.
From pediatrics to geriatric specialists and from emergency treatment to long-term care, DeSoto residents receive convenient access to doctors who can meet almost any health care need. A current, updated listing of healthcare-related service providers can be found on the Chamber’s online business directory: www.desotochamber.org.