To receive a certificate of occupancy, buildings shall be inspected to include:
• 100-amp service.
• Smoke alarms.
• Electrical outlets and switches.
• Water leaks in basement, around ceilings, windows.
• Washrooms for hot and cold running water, proper drainage.
• Wiring for overloading of extension cords, location of cords and cords under carpeting.
• Location and placement of garbage containers, overall sanitation, roaches, insects, mice and other pests.
• General appearance of exterior for visible structure defects, peeling paint, missing numbers, broken windows.
• Function of heating unit.
• Carbon monoxide and gas leaks using testers.
• Downspouts to dump onto the ground away from neighbor’s property.
• Outlets below grade, outside, in a shed or garage or within six feet of a water source to be GFIC protected.
Selling your home, apartment building or condo
Contact the Village of Harwood Heights Building Department at (708) 867-7200 to request an inspection of your property. This must be done 30 days before closing. A final water meter reading must be done two days before closing.
Permits must be obtained for all new construction and home improvements. Call the Village of Harwood Heights Building Department at (708) 867-7200 or email email@example.com for details.
Any property that is being sold or transferred to another person must have a real estate inspection. This inspection includes checking if the property is used as it is zoned; that the property smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed; and that an in-ground sprinkler system has cross-controls, if required.
The inspection must take place within 30 days of the closing. Upon approval, the seller must pay the final water bill and then a real estate inspection certificate will be issued. This certificate is taken to the closing in order to record the sale.
Permits must be obtained for all new construction and home improvements. Call the Village of Norridge Building Department at (708) 453-0311 for details.