From open spaces and park sites to modern recreational facilities, Hayward-area residents have access to diversions of all kinds. The Hayward Area Recreation and Park District operates and maintains more than 100 facilities and park sites and offers hundreds of educational and recreational programs, classes and events, with locations at www.haywardarearec.org.
Highlights of Hayward:
- The 25-acre Oliver Sports Park has picnic facilities and a children’s play area, as well as facilities for softball, soccer, and basketball.
- Kennedy Park welcomes families to enjoy the merry-go-round, a narrow gauge railroad, picnic and activity areas, and a snack bar.
- Hayward Shoreline Interpretive Center offers a glimpse into the ecology of the San Francisco Bay estuary.
- The Sulphur Creek Nature Center is a wildlife education and rehabilitation facility in a creekside forest.
- The Rowell Ranch Rodeo is a community favorite every spring.
- The Hayward Plunge is a year-round indoor swimming facility that features swim lessons, public swim, lap swim and water exercise.
- Mia’s Dream Come True Playground includes elements of inclusion play for cognitive, physical, social, sensory and communication stimulation. The park has accessible pathways, picnic areas, seating and shade structures.
Part of the East Bay Regional Park District, Garin and Dry Creek Pioneer regional parks include a visitor center with blacksmith shop, picnicking areas, and a 20-mile system of trails for hiking, horseback riding and fishing.
Golfers Love Hayward
Hayward has outstanding public and country club golf courses.
The Hayward Recreation and Park District operates the Skywest and Mission Hills of Hayward golf courses. Skywest is a popular choice for its challenging 18 holes on a tree-lined course stretching 6,862 yards. The facility includes a driving range, practice green and a restaurant. Mission Hills is a 9-hole executive course that includes a two-deck lighted driving range. Both offer professional instruction and pro shops.
Hayward is also home to TPC Stonebrae Country Club with its 18-hole, 7,200-yard championship course 1,500 feet above San Francisco Bay. The beautiful facility with outstanding vistas includes dining opportunities, practice facility and a portion of the Bay Ridge Trail. The Ellie Mae Classic is one of the major events on the Web.Com PGA-affiliated Tour.