Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital
Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington is a leader in delivering the most advanced medical technologies and comprehensive health care services available in the northwest suburbs. In 2017, Good Shepherd completed a four-year modernization project to ensure health care delivery remains outstanding and attuned to the evolving needs of the community. This project has improved the patient care experience by enhancing privacy and making it more convenient to access inpatient and outpatient services. Good Shepherd Hospital is part of Advocate Health Care, the largest fully integrated health system in Illinois.
— 176 beds
— 700+ physicians
— 500+ nurses
— 35,506 emergency visits
— 13,791 inpatient admissions and observations
— 1,322 deliveries
— 248,667 outpatient visits
— 10,260 surgeries
— Immediate Care center and outpatient center in Crystal Lake
— Outpatient center in Lake Zurich
— Health & fitness center in Barrington
In 2013, the hospital achieved Magnet designation for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program. This is the highest award a hospital can receive for outstanding quality and excellence in nursing care.
U.S. News & World Report
U.S. News & World Report ranked Advocate Good Shepherd among the top 20 hospitals in the Chicago metro area. The hospital was recognized as high performing in the following common adult procedures: heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hip replacement and knee replacement.
Recipient of Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award, which recognizes hospitals in the top 10 percent in the nation for patient safety
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association has recognized Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital with the following: Get with the Guidelines Platinum Award; Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award; Mission: Lifeline Silver STEMI Level Recognition Award. ›
Emergency Nurse Association
The hospital is the recipient of Emergency Nurse Association Lantern Award, which recognizes emergency departments that demonstrate exceptional and innovative performance in leadership, practice, education, advocacy and research.
The hospital is the recipient of Practice Greenhealth’s TOP 25 Environmental Excellence Award, which recognizes the 25 health care facilities in the country that exemplify the best in environmental excellence and the highest standards for environmental practices.
- The most current radiation therapy options for cancer treatment, including PET/CT simulator, TrueBeam, intensity modulated radiation therapy, image-guided radiation therapy and intraoperative radiation therapy, which allows patients to receive targeted radiation directly to the tumor site during their breast cancer surgery instead of after surgery.
- Two surgical robots, including da Vinci Xi Robotic Surgical System
- Comprehensive cardiovascular services, including electrophysiology, catheterization and open heart surgeryClinical excellence
- DNV GL ISO 9001 Certification
- DNV GL Stroke Center Certification
- Level II Trauma Center with Illinois Emergency Department Approved for Pediatric designation
- First hospital in Illinois to receive Atrial Fibrillation Certification from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (now known as ACC Accreditation Services)
- Designated as a Level II with Extended Neonatal Capabilities (IIE) Perinatal Facility by the state of Illinois
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program Accredited Bariatric Surgery Center
- Health Management Center consisting of anticoagulation, congestive heart failure, outpatient diabetes and wound care services
- Testing, endoscopy and infusion centers offering state-of-the-art services conveniently located at the hospital
- Recognized as a Comprehensive Level Community Cancer Program by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer
- Designated an ACR Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
- Breast Care Center accredited by the American College of Radiology and the American College of Surgeons’ National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- Cancer Survivorship program offering nutrition, exercise and wellness classes.
- Childbirth education classes
- Partnership with area community groups to reduce falls among seniors through Matter of Balance Fall Prevention classes and coach training sessions.
- Diabetes prevention efforts overseen by Diabetes Advisory Committee. Diabetes educators provide grocery store tours to community members. Tours provided in English and Spanish.
- Partnership with Healthier Barrington Coalition, with focus on community mental health
- Partnerships with the local churches, including outreach programs. Mission and Spiritual Care chaplains offer spiritual and emotional support, prayer, arrangements for sacramental ministry and contact with local faith communities.
- Donor milk depot site for the Mothers’ Milk Bank of the Western Great Lakes. Moms who are approved as donors can pre-arrange and drop off their frozen breast milk at Good Shepherd.