Lincolnshire grew late but fast
The ground occupied by today’s Lincolnshire was settled by the first non-native settlers in 1834. But Lincolnshire was not incorporated as a village until 1957, and even then, it had just 237 people.
Today the village has a population of 7,500. It has expanded its area tenfold, has 38 miles of streets (all bearing English names) and, thanks to its large base of stores, theaters, hotels and office buildings, has a daytime population of some 20,000.
In 1955 Ladd Enterprises purchased 280 acres between the Des Plaines River and Riverwoods Road, and began developing a subdivision called Lincolnshire. The development’s first residents had dirt roads, septic systems, propane gas tanks and party-line telephones, and they were dependent on police protection from the sheriff’s office in Waukegan.
These early problems led to the formation of a homeowners’ group called the Cambridge Forest Association (because Cambridge Lane was the only developed street at that time) and incorporation as a village on August 5, 1957.
The association later became known as the Lincolnshire Community Association. It started many festivals and events. Although the LCA is no longer active today, the village and residents and community groups carry forward many of these annual traditions, including the Fourth of July celebration, Boo Bash and Holiday Tree Lighting.