Welcome to Natchitoches (pronounced Nack-a-tish)! We invite you to be a part of our growth and enjoy the heritage, traditions and deep-rooted culture felt around every corner.
Part of the Cane River National Heritage Area, Natchitoches is home to one of only three National Historic Landmark Districts in Louisiana. Downtown overlooks beautiful Cane River Lake and offers guests a glimpse of 18th, 19th and early 20th century life in Louisiana. Many historic structures, including homes, churches and businesses continue to be preserved thanks to the work of active community leaders. The parish and the closely surrounding area also host a number of national historic landmarks, state historic sites, museums, historic forts and more.
In addition to its small-town flavor with a college town vibe, the city features plenty of avenues for entertainment, culture, shopping and dining. Natchitoches hosts numerous regular events throughout the year spanning early spring through the New Year, including our nationally recognized Christmas Festival. There are also ample outlets for recreation within the city, along Cane River Lake, on Red River and at the nearby Kisatchie National Forest. Add in great K-12 schools, a prominent medical center and growing opportunities for employers and employees, and you find a well-rounded city moving forward!
Others have taken notice — see what these folks have to say about Natchitoches.
- Best Southern Small Town (May 2015) 10 Best Readers’ Choice Award – USA Today and 10Best.com
- Top 8 Best Small Town Getaways in the U.S. (July 2014) Wall Street Cheat Sheet
- Top Retirement Destination (June, 2014) Where to Retire
- Best Historic Attraction of Louisiana (2014) Media World USA
- Natchitoches Tri-Centennial Celebration named as the “Bucket List Destination” for Louisiana for the year 2014 – CNN
- Best Travel Destination in Louisiana (2014) CNN Travel
- Finalist, All American City (2013)
- Most Romantic Main Streets, National Trust for Historic Preservation (2012)
This is truly a wonderful community, a place where families, young professionals and retirees can all discover the advantages to life in beautiful Natchitoches.