Starting a Business

Getting a business license
(209) 831-6800
Companies or individuals doing business in Tracy must have a valid business license. Visit the city’s business license page to learn about the different types of licenses and fees, and to download an application form.

Location/zoning/building permits
(209) 831-6400
The City of Tracy Economic Development Department provides assistance with site location, zoning regulations, facilitating meetings and/or discussions with Planning and Engineering Departments.

San Joaquin Partnership
(209) 956-3380
Assists larger employers with relocations, site locations and incentive programs. For more information, visit

Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
(209) 954-5089
SBDC helps businesses with financial, marketing, production, organization and other business support. Classes are held on a regular basis in Stockton and monthly at the Chamber office. On the second Thursday of every month at noon, SBDC hosts a “Starting Your Own Business” workshop at the Tracy Chamber office. To RSVP for an upcoming class, call (209) 835-2131.

SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)
(209) 948-6293
SCORE is a nonprofit association sponsored by the Small Business Administration that offers business consulting, workshops and educational webinars. One-on-one consultations to discuss business plans, financing, etc. are available with a local SCORE mentor at the Tracy Chamber office. For a consultation appointment, call (209) 835-2131.

Employee recruitment & training

San Joaquin County WorkNet
(209) 831-5002
SJC WorkNet is a full-service employment and training organization that offers services to county businesses such as employee recruitment, screening and training. They also offer job placement, occupations skills, job-search training and educational assistance.

Economic Development Association
(209) 468-3613
The San Joaquin County (California) Economic Development Association in cooperation with the Employment and Economic Development Department, Chambers of Commerce and local governments, is a “one-stop” business resource committed to meeting the needs of development prospects, local businesses and the community. EDA’s goal is to encourage and assist business development in San Joaquin County.

Marketing support & networking opportunities
Join the Tracy Chamber of Commerce and receive endless opportunities to promote your business and develop relationships with other business owners. Download the application from our website, or call (209) 835-2131.

Frequently called numbers for starting a business

Business License — (209) 831-6800
Fictitious Business Name — (209) 468-3939
Health Department — (209) 468-3420
Alcohol Beverage Control — (209) 948-7739
Franchise Tax Board — (800) 338-0505
Sellers Permit (SBOE) — (916) 400-7115
FEIN Number — (800) 829-4933
State Contractors Board — (800) 321-2752
Better Business Bureau — (209) 948-4880
Workers Comp — (800) 736-7401