Clovis Unified School District
Nestled in the heart of the Central Valley, Clovis Unified School District serves a student population of more than 43,000 students who live in the urban areas of Clovis and Fresno, and the rural community of Friant. The 14th largest school district in California, CUSD is also one of the highest performing public school systems in the state. Last year, Clovis Unified students’ English scores were the highest of any large school district in the state, and math scores were the second highest.
In a recent message to the community, Superintendent Eimear O’Farrell, Ed.D., described the district’s philosophy toward education: “Founding Clovis Unified Superintendent Doc Buchanan used to say, ‘The schools belong to the people,’ and our people are our community. Doc was a visionary educator, and he understood from the start that great education is only possible when we as a community work in partnership together. We would not be the district we are today without the support, generosity and goodwill of our community, one that values an exemplary education and has continuously put trust in Clovis Unified for the past 59 years.”
Clovis Unified’s community of nearly 6,000 educators is focused on this year’s district-wide theme of “Inspiring Excellence,” a reminder that our standards should always be high. Working together, we can and we are Inspiring Excellence! Just a few of the recent results of inspiring excellence that are being celebrated in Clovis Unified include:
- 2019 Best Communities for Music Education by the NAAM foundation.
- 21 consecutive Meritorious Budget Awards by the Association for School Business Officials International.
- Highest scores in English/language arts and second highest in math out of the 20 largest California school districts.
- 14 Bonner Character Award schools; 18 California Business Educational Excellence Honor Roll schools; 11 Civic Learning Award schools; 16 California PBIS schools; 6 California Distinguished Schools; 1 California Gold Ribbon School (Liberty Elementary); 1 National Blue Ribbon School (Liberty Elementary); and 1 Model Continuation School (Gateway High for the fifth consecutive year).
- 1 (of only 10 in the nation) Terrel H. Bell Award honoring outstanding principals (George Petersen, Liberty Elementary).
- California State Athletic School of the Year (Buchanan High); 7 State Individual Athlete Championship Titles; 3 State, 20 out of 25 Valley and 22 out of 24 League Athletic Team Titles.
- Offering extensive academic and co-curricular programs to all students, each school in Clovis Unified offers a unique and localized approach to carrying out the district’s aim of maximizing achievement for all students. Learn more about Clovis Unified and its more than 44 schools at www.cusd.com.
Central California’s newest community college, Clovis Community College, creates opportunities—one student at a time
Clovis Community College is the college of choice for academic excellence, innovation, and student achievement.
Clovis Community College earned an award from the Campaign for College Opportunity for being a “Champion for Higher Education” for exemplary work in awarding associate degrees for transfer for two years in a row in 2018 and 2019.
Out of all 115 California Community Colleges, Clovis Community College ranked:
- #1 for the number of transfer students to UCs and CSUs (per 1,000 students)
- #1 in Associate Degrees for Transfer earned (compared to similarly sized community colleges)
- #1 in Associate Degrees earned with the fewest units accumulated by students
(Data source: California Community College’s Student Success Metrics)
Clovis Community College partnered with manufacturing leaders on the development of the Mechatronics and Food Safety programs.
In addition, the college worked with California Health Sciences University (CHSU) to develop the College of Pharmacy (COP) Priority Application Agreement, where students may earn admission to CHSU COP after successfully completing prerequisite classes.
The new Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Clovis Community College is a partnership with the University of California, Merced. The SBDC serves students, entrepreneurs, and small business owners in the counties of Fresno, Tulare, Kings, and Madera. A variety of services are offered, including access to business development resources and consulting services.
Clovis Community College offers a highly competitive “Crush” athletics programs including men’s and women’s soccer, swimming and diving, cross country, and track.
“It is an exciting time at the college as continued growth is on the horizon. We proudly serve about 13,000 students, a 62% increase from 2012. A new applied technology center is currently in the design phase, and will house career technical education programs with construction starting in 2022 and will open in late 2023,” said Dr. Lori Bennett, president of Clovis Community College.
Clovis Community College offers many beneficial programs and services including:
- Free tuition for first-time students, call (559) 325-5239 for eligibility
- Associate degrees for transfer to CSU or UC campuses at a fraction of their tuition prices
- Certificates of Achievement in a variety of short-term career technical education programs
- Leon S. Peters Honors Program
- Veterans Resource Center
- Career Resource and Transfer Center
Visit Clovis Community College at www.cloviscollege.edu or call (559) 325-5200.
Clovis Community College is located at 10309 North Willow Avenue in Fresno.
Follow Clovis Community College on social media.