Bleiblerville

Share this Page


Bleiblerville, in northwest Austin County on Highway 2502, was originally part of the 1830’s Shelbourne Plantation. Germans settled in the area as the plantations were downsized into small farmsteads. A Swiss immigrant, Robert Bleibler, came in 1889 and operated a peddler wagon selling goods from farm to farm in exchange for farm produce. In 1890, Bleibler bought an existing store (ca. 1864). The community grew rapidly with the influx of many German immigrants in the late 19th century, and its post office was established in 1891. In 1892, he became postmaster with a post office in his store, and the community officially became Bleiblerville. The community expanded in the 1960s with the increase of oil drilling in the community but has since declined.

In 1900, a Czech Slavic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas Lodge was formed. A meeting hall built by the group in 1914 was remodeled to its current appearance in 1955. The Nelsonville lodge merged with this group in 1993 and today is still active in its mutual aid activities and community functions.