WALLIS is at the southeastern end of Austin County, just across the Fort Bend County line on Highway 36. Like many Texas cities, it originated as a railroad town. This Anglo-American settlement on the narrow strip of land west of the Brazos and east of the San Bernard River began in the late 1830s. In 1880, William Guyler donated 100 acres of land to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad as an enticement to have their tracks pass through the community.
First known as Bovine Bend, the name of the post office was changed to Wallis Station in 1886 and to Wallis in 1911. In 1973, Wallis was officially incorporated as a city. The city bears the name of J.E. Wallis, vice president of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad at the time of the land donation to the railroad company. For more information about Wallis, visit www.wallistexas.org
Guardian Angel Catholic Church, founded around 1915 (5610 Demel St.), received a Texas State Historical Marker in 1995 and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The interior, decorated by professional artisans, offers one of the more elaborate representations of the famous Texas painted church tradition. Today, over 460 families worship in the historic church and hold their annual church bazaar on the fourth Sunday of October. Tours are available by appointment. Call (979) 478-6532 or visit www.guardianangelwallis.com.
Wallis Methodist Church, dating back to 1893 (Birch & Guyler streets), received a Texas Historical Marker in 1996. In 1890, M.L.H. Harry deeded land to church trustees for the formation of a Methodist Church in Wallis. In 1893, a loan was taken out for the construction of a church sanctuary on the deeded land. The church considers 1893 its official founding date and is is the oldest church in Wallis. The congregation continues to worship in the original building and serves as an integral part of the community, engaging in numerous local, state and national outreach programs.
Wallis Cemetery (North on FM 1093 & West on Cemetery Road) was established in 1895, when seven residents paid $100 to purchase four acres of land from N.P. Ward to establish a cemetery. The nonprofit Wallis Cemetery Association was formed for the administration of the cemetery. It is the resting place of William and Lydia Guyler, early settlers from Kentucky who were instrumental in the founding of Wallis.
The cemetery also serves as the burial location for veterans of four wars: the Civil War, both world wars and the Vietnam War. In 2010, the Wallis Cemetery was awarded a Texas Historical Marker.